Yong LI, Ph.D.
1990, B.Sc., Nanjing University;
1999, Ph.D., University of South Florida.
2000-2001, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania ;
2001-2002, Postdoctoral Associate, Fox Chase Cancer Center;
2003-2006, Research Scientist, Van Andel Research Institute;
2007-2010, Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh;
2009-Present, Professor of School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University.
We are focusing on studying protein structure and function, as well as its implications in drug development. We intend to take advantage of the drug repositioning strategy, combined with our research experience and strength in the study of structure-activity relationship (SAR) of nuclear receptors, in developing new drugs targeting metabolic diseases with improved potency and efficacy but reduced side effects. Our investigations of structure-activity relationship with drugs and their targets, as well as with their respective signaling pathways, are revealing clinically-significant mechanisms of drug signaling in diverse disease processes and also novel strategies for therapeutic purpose.
1. Jin L,, Wang R, Zhu Y, Zheng W, Han Y, Guo F, Ye FB, Li Y*. Selective targeting of nuclear receptor FXR by avermectin analogues with therapeutic effects on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Sci Rep. 2015 Dec 1; 5: 17288.
2. Zheng W, Qiu L, Wang R, Feng X, Han Y, Zhu Y, Chen D, Liu Y, Jin L, Li Y*. Selective targeting of PPARγ by the natural product chelerythrine with a unique binding mode and improved antidiabetic potency. Sci Rep. 2015 Jul 17; 5: 12222.
3. Yang C, Li Q, Li Y*. Targeting nuclear receptors with marine natural products. Mar Drugs. 2014 Jan 27;12(2): 601-35.
4. Jin L, Feng X, Pan Z, Rong H,Inaba Y, Qiu L, Zheng W, Lin S, Wang R, Wang Z, Li S, Xie W, and Li Y*. The antiparasitic drug ivermectin is a novel FXR ligand that regulates metabolism.Nature Communications. 2013 Jun 3; 4: 1937.
5. Zheng W, FengX,Qiu L, Pan Z, Wang R, Lin S, HouD, Jin L*, and Li Y*. Identification of the antibiotic ionomycin as an unexpected peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) ligand with a unique binding mode and effective glucose-lowering activity in a mouse model of diabetes. Diabetologia. 2013 Feb; 56(2):401-11.
6. Wang S, Wang Z, Lin S, Zheng W, Wang R, Jin S, Chen J, Jin L, and Li Y*.Revealing a natural marine product as a novel agonist for retinoic acid receptors with a unique binding mode and inhibitory effects on cancer cells. 2012, Biochemistry Journal. 446(1):79-87.
7. Lin S, Han Y, Shi Y, Rong H, Zheng S, Jin S, Lin SY, Lin SC, Li Y*.Revealing a steroid receptor ligand as a unique PPARγ agonist.Cell Research.2012;22(4):746-56 2011.
8. Jin L, Lin S, Rong H, Zheng S, Jin S, Wang R, Li Y*.Structural basis for iloprost as a dual peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha/delta agonist.Journal of Biological Chemistry.286(36):31473-9, 2011.
9. Jin L, Li Y*.Structural and functional insights into nuclear receptor signaling. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 62:1218-1226, 2010.
10. Jin L, Martynowski D, Zheng S, Wada T, Xie W, and Li Y*.Structural basis for hydroxycholesterols as natural ligands of orphan nuclear receptor RORγ. Molecular Endocrinology, 24(5): 923-929, 2010.
11. Xu HE* and Li Y *. Ligand-dependent and -independent regulation of PPAR gamma and orphan nuclear receptors. Science Signaling, 1 pe52
12. Li Y*, Zhang J, Schopfer FJ, Martynowski D, Garcia-Barrio MT, Kovach A, Suino-Powell K, Baker PR, Freeman BA, Chen YE, Xu HE.Molecular recognition of nitrated fatty acids by PPAR gamma. Nature Structural &Molecular Biology. 2008, 15(8):865-7
13. Li Y*, Kovach A, Suino-Powell K, Martynowski D, Xu HE. Structural and Biochemical Basis for the Binding Selectivity of PPARγ to PGC1α. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2008, 283(27):19132-9
14. Inagaki T, Dutchak P, Zhao G, Ding X, Gautron L, Parameswara V, Li Y, Goetz R, Mohammadi M, Esser V, Elmquist JK, Gerard RD, Burgess SC, Hammer RE, Mangelsdorf DJ, Kliewer SA. Endocrine regulation of the fasting response by PPARα-mediated induction of fibroblast growth factor 21. Cell Metabolism, 5(6):415-425 (2007)
15. Motola DL, Cummins CL, Rottiers V, Sharma KK, Li T, Li Y, Suino-Powell K, Xu HE, Auchus RJ, Antebi A, Mangelsdorf DJ. Identification of Ligands for DAF-12 that Govern Dauer Formation and Reproduction in C. elegans. Cell. 2006;124(6):1209-23.
16. Li Y,Li Y, Suino K, Daugherty J, Xu HE. Structural and biochemical mechanisms for the specificity of hormone binding and coactivator assembly by mineralocorticoid receptor. Molecular Cell. 2005, 19(3):367-80
17. Li Y, Choi M, Suino K, Kovach A, Daugherty J, Kliewer SA, Xu HE. Structural and biochemical basis for selective repression of the orphan nuclear receptor LRH-1 by SHP. ProcNatlAcadSci U S A. 2005, 102(27):9505-10
18. Li Y, Choi M, Cavey G, Daugherty J, Suino K, Kovach A, Bingham NC, Kliewer SA, Xu HE. Crystallographic identification and functional characterization of phospholipids as ligands for the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor-1. Molecular Cell, 2005, 17(4): 491–502.